We branded the last batch of calves today. There were 150 in this group. Roger and Alan branded two smaller batches that were in different pastures last week while I was in Washington. Today was a perfect day for branding. The weather was nice, about 60 with a light breeze. We almost cancelled after yesterday's rain and snow. We had some good help today with Laura, Derek Gohr, Rhett Miller and my Dad, Dale Armstrong. Also Tyler Gohr and even Rachel and I helped for a minute. You might notice Alan is missing from these pictures. He was welding on the branding chute the other day and kinked his back. He is walking kind of crooked and hunched over like Quasimodo. He did supervise the branding set up and helped chase the cattle into the corral in his pickup but had gone home to rest by time I took these pictures. We hope he is better soon.
Laura, Derek, Rhett, Dad
Sorting the cows from the calves.
Roger watching the gate so the calves don't get out.
Derek and Rhett keeping the calves pushed up and ready to load into branding chute.
Dad pushing calves into branding chute which straps calf to one wall that then folds out to a table so they can work on the calf; which includes marking, vaccinating, castrating with green cheerios and branding.




6 comments:
I remember when Jayme and I were dating and we helped one time. Jayme had calf crap all down the front of him and oh boy....the smell. I think that was the last time he helped. Your trip to Washington looked so fun. Kathi looks so great. I can't believe she just had a baby.
What great pictures! Can I borrow one of your branding Irons for Michael? He's always running off getting lost...
I'm very impressed...that looks like some seriously hard and stinky work!
As much fun as branding calves looks like it is, I think I'll leave that work to my brothers!
Also, we heard from Adam yesterday. He sounds great!
It was a beautiful day there in Idaho. I have to say it does have a beauty of its own with the buttes in the background and burley farming guys doing burley farming guy stuff!
What fun pictures! It's fun to have a behind the scenes look. Maybe one year I will have to come help just so I can say that I helped too. I am raising 3 farm hands that we will let you put to work when they get older.
Oh Anne, you just made me very homesick with this post. Now I am missing Menan and my friends. The last couple of days when I have come in covered in dirt and diesel I've been thinking I could really use some "girly" time. It's me and 8 guys here.
(OH .... and I miss the kids too!)
Post a Comment