Friday, April 25, 2008

It's That Time of Year

It's that time of year, but we are still about two weeks behind when we usually start. The men started working the ground and planting on April 17th. We usually Start the first week in April. There have been a few setbacks with an occasional blizzard and being unusually cold. Alan has been toughing it out planting the dikes on the small cab less tractor. The day I took the picture it was only 40. As of Saturday the 26th They had planted 500 acres with 300 left to go. Saturday was an exceptionally good day with them being able to plant 100 acres that day alone.

The calving has gone well this year. 300 calved out, 20 to go. When the planting is done it will be time to brand the calves in getting to take them to the ranch. We drove up to check out the ranch the other day and the underpass is still snowed in and the lane to the cabin is drifted over. But it should be clear by the time we are ready to take them up. Plus all the snow is great for green pastures this summer.

5 comments:

Camille said...

Ann- I clicked to you from Kim & LeAnn's blogs. Your pictures make me a little homesick for Menan! It is good to see how well your family is doing! -Camille Poulter Heck

The Moss Family said...

Who would of thought that seeing those buttes would make me homesick. Now you need to take pictures when all the stuff has grown when it's nice and green, then I will really be homesick. I love the cows too, if you see cows in Arizona they are all so skinny I don't think there is any meat on them to eat.

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

I LOVE THIS BLOG!! You are so much more advanced than I am! It is good to see the pictures.

I am sorry it has been so cold, but it was fun to see Alan freezing on the tractor. LOL! I felt so bad I went to the beach to try and forget about it. :-)

Kelly and Jesse said...

Your grandaughter was born on my birthday. I turned 25 on March 24. I think it is cool that a baby I know was born on my 25th birthday. Tell Alan I said hi and congratulations.
Jesse (Cunningham) Crystal

Janet said...

I love the farm pictures. They are beautiful. I always wanted to marry a farmer when I was younger. :) BUT, I am completely happy with where I am at now.